Monday, June 29, 2009

XLRI Extra Fee Reimbursement


Experience 2 by Angshuman

XLRI Extra Fee Reimbursement

Date: 26-June-2009

Time: 11 AM

Location: Accounts Office, XLRI, Jamshedpur

Background

I’m a 2nd year Fellow Student at XLRI, Jamshedpur. Before joining XLRI, I was given the option of choosing my room accommodation type i.e. single or double sharing room. I choose the single sharing room and paid fees for the same i.e. Rs. 12,000/-. But ultimately was provided double sharing accommodation in the 1st year for which the fees were Rs. 8000/-. So, I had paid Rs. 4000/- extra as fees in the first year.

Prior Expectation

I had expected the extra fees paid by me will be automatically reimbursed to my account where they disburse my FPM stipend. And if not I expected the extra fees will be adjusted with the 2nd year fees. On 26th June around 11 AM when I went to the accounts office to pay this year’s fees I expected the person there will help me in this process.

Actual Experience

When I went and informed the accounts department clerk about the issue – he out rightly gave an impression that it was my fault. He told me that last year’s accounts are closed and nothing can be done now. He rejected the idea of adjusting the fees with the 2nd year fees. He also indicated that it was my fault that I did not apply for reimbursement in the 1st year itself. After many deliberations he asked me to give an application to Fr James Santhanam for considerations.

Service Trinity Model



SERVQUAL Ratings

Dimension

Rating

Tangibles

4

Reliability

4

Responsiveness

2

Assurance

3

Empathy

1

(Rating is given on a scale of 1-5; 1=Very Bad, 2=Bad, 3=Neutral, 4=Good and 5=Very Good)

Critical Analysis & Suggestions

· People and Process are two important Ps in case of services. I found both of these two dimensions not properly addressed by the service provider in this case.

· From the people perspective the accounts clerk should have shown a more customer oriented approach. His objective should be to satisfy the customer along with his regular accounting work. Just a few compassionate words and helpful approach could have made me feel better.

· But more important issue in this case is the PROCESS. If only double sharing room was to be provided why option of single sharing room was given? And why did they take the extra Rs. 4000/- in that case? It was the customer who had paid the extra money because of unclear process of the service provider and he again has to take all the pain of getting it reimbursed? Doesn’t the service provider have equal responsibility to make the extra money reimbursed? Why don’t they have any set procedure for this? If it had to be reimbursed in 1st year itself why there was no notice or information regarding the same?

· Ultimately, I have submitted an application to Fr James Santhanam and hope the problem will get resolved soon. But definitely the uncertainty is not acceptable. May be the best solution should be to have set rules and procedures for reimbursement of extra fees in this kind of scenario and the same should be properly communicated. If that is not possible at least the people involved in the process should take more customer oriented approach to solve the problems rather than just avoiding it!


No comments:

Post a Comment