Thursday, September 17, 2009

“Laptop Battery Change”


“Laptop Battery Change”

Date: 20-August-2009
Time: 5-00 to 6-00 PM
Location: Room 240, TSTMR

Background

I bought my laptop from the college as part of a bulk deal with Dell. There were some issues with battery from the beginning. But from last two month the problem became grave. The battery was getting discharged within half an hour. So, I thought of contacting Dell people to solve the battery problem.

Prior Expectation

I expected high class and quick service from Dell.

Basis for Expectation

Dell is a worldwide leader in computers and laptops. They have reputation for very high quality. I heard good service being offered by Dell from my classmates. While buying my laptop the service guarantee for one year was provided.

Actual Experience

I went to CC to check the procedure. They advised me to contact Dell people directly and gave a contact number. When I contacted the number they asked me to register a call online with my laptop number and the problem experienced. I logged the call. Though they said that they will get back in two days – there was no response for four days. I contacted them by phone again. They registered my grievance. Ultimately two days after that I got a call from a Dell person – he said he is coming to my hostel room on that very day. This time I was happy – he came at a time as promised. Checked my laptop – opened it a found issue with battery. He explained that there was some issue with that set of batteries. Anyway, he replaced the battery and my problem got resolved.

Service Trinity Model

Core Service
o   Selling of Computers and Laptop
o   After sales service
Funding Mechanism
o   Customer Pays
o   Customer registers call online and also there are troubleshoot helps in website – by this self-service company saves some cost
Customer Management System
o   Employees providing information about the products and prices
o   Customer call a toll-free number or send email in case of any issues
o   Customer feedback system
Employee Management System
o   Select and train customer focused employees
o   Train employees on solving various issues with computers and laptops
o   Performance based compensation

Tangibility vs People/Possessions

Dell is a direct seller of computers. It provides computers and laptops which are possessions and tangible. So, Dell will fall in upper-right cell i.e. tangible and possessions.
People
Possessions
Tangible Acts
Dell
Intangible Acts

Separability vs Core service/Delivery

Customer need not go to Dell shop to chose and buy the product and also providing computers and laptops and service is the core business of Dell. So, it will fall in the top-left cell i.e. separable and core.
Core
Delivery
Separable
Dell
Inseparable

The Service Process Matrix

In case of Dell laptop servicing, degree of labor intensity is low but the degree of interaction and customization is high – it is very specific to the needs of individual customers. So, in this matrix it is categorized as Service Shop.
Degree of Interaction and Customization
Degree of
labor Intensity
LOW
HIGH
LOW
Service Factory
Service Shop
DELL
HIGH
Mass Service
Professional
Service

Outcome, Interaction and Physical Evidence Quality

·         Outcome was good in the sense the battery problem got solved.
·         Interaction with the employee was not that good initially when I called them but with the person who came to repair the interaction was good.
·         Physical evidence in terms of the was not an issue because the person came to my room and I did not have to go to any shop.

SERVQUAL Ratings

Dimension
Rating
Remarks
Tangibles
5
They brought a new battery and replace old one
Reliability
4
The reason and explanation provided by the service person inspired confidence
Responsiveness
3
First time they took time to respond. After the second call response was quick.
Assurance
4
The service person looked knowledgeable about his jobA
Empathy
3
The first phone call was not responded in a emphatic manner the service person who came to my room showed care and individual attention
[Rating is given on a scale of 1-5; 1=Very Bad, 2=Bad, 3=Neutral, 4=Good and 5=Very Good]

Critical Analysis & Suggestions

·         There was a time lag after first phone call. Though overall service was good – the response time can be improved.

No comments:

Post a Comment